In This Section

War Memorial Building

In May 1917, a committee was formed to raise the money required to erect a War Memorial for Old Harrovians who were dying in World War One. On 6 October 1921, a foundation stone was laid by Old Harrovian Randall Davidson (Small Houses and Moretons 1862 3), then Archbishop of Canterbury. Donations, subscriptions, bequeathed gifts and other contributions culminated in the formal opening of Harrow’s War Memorial Building in 1926.

 

 

Located at the heart of the School, next to Speech Room and on the High Street, the War Memorial Building remains central to our Remembrance Day activities. Each day during term time, Masters, Monitors (prefects) and members of The Guild and The Philathletic (our elite performing and visual artists and sportsmen, respectively), gather in dedicated rooms in the War Memorial Building. Replicas of the Victoria Cross medals that were given to eight Old Harrovians and one Harrow Master during World War One are also on display, alongside banners of their family and regimental arms.

Upstairs, the walls of the Old Harrovian Room display portraits of former Head Masters. It is here that we welcome many external speakers, including military men and those in government. On the day of their entry assessment, prospective boys assemble here too – even prior to joining Harrow, they are cognisant of the sacrifice made by those before them.

And for our brother harrovians, who died the death of honour, let us make our prayer in the spirit of fellowship and hope

Extract of a prayer read at the opening of the War Memorial in 1926