Last Tuesday, several boys competed for the Classics Department's Oxenham Speech Day Prize for Latin and Greek Reading.
The standard throughout was excellent, with the following winning performances:
- In Shell Latin, Christopher Liu (The Head Master's) - Martial 10.62.
- In Shell Greek, Jiho Ro (The Park) - an excerpt from Homer’s Odyssey Book 6.
- In Remove Latin, Edos Herwegh Vonk (Newlands) - the ending of Virgil’s Aeneid Book 12.
- In Remove Greek, William Wauchope (The Knoll) - an excerpt from Herodotus’ histories.
- In both the Fifth Form Latin and Fifth Form Greek, Adam Ait El Caid (Druries) - Ovid and Homer.
- In Sixth Form Latin, Monty Powell (The Grove) - an excerpt from Virgil's Book 6.
- In Sixth Form Greek, to George Herron (The Grove) - a passage from Euripides' Hippolytus.